Play I Solve I Master
Game Designer – Founding Team Member
UMA is an early-stage Techstars backed startup on a mission to prepare kids to thrive in a world where learning to learn and loving to learn is becoming the most precious skill. Our vision is to create a virtual world where learning and playing become one, by combining the latest cognitive science and education research with the interactivity and delight of games. We are starting with a puzzle game for mobile where kids develop problem solving skills and build Maths confidence.
It’s a very exciting time to join UMA; working with kids, educators, and mathematicians, we have built the pedagogical backbone of the game, and we are now defining the game’s core mechanics and system. Every day, we are pushing the boundaries of traditional education, and exploring the role of games in the future of learning. To achieve this ambitious mission, we are looking for an exceptionally talented and thoughtful Game Designer to join our journey.
We are looking for an experienced Game Designer who can lead the design of our game’s system and mechanics. This role is for someone who enjoys the challenge of creating fun and engaging games that make for meaningful learning experiences.
We offer competitive compensation, including equity; flexibility to work from anywhere, and the option to start on a part-time basis.
What you’ll be doing
Working directly with UMA’s co-founders to transform maths and logic puzzles into a scalable game system and set of core mechanics
Designing and prototyping new puzzles and features to find the fun
Regularly test and adjust game mechanics to ensure that playability, fun and difficulty are balanced
Creating a prototyping plan and working with the rest of the team to define and maintain a production roadmap
Establishing the game’s KPIs and driving constant improvement
Establishing and maintaining proper documentation
What we are looking for
- 5+ years of Game Design experience, including in Systems and Level Design
- Experience taking game designs from concept to release across multiple platforms, including mobile
- Experience building games or products for children
- Deep understanding of game mechanics and drivers of engagement in games and platforms like Minecraft, Roblox, Fortnite, Zelda and Animal Crossing
- Ability to work in a small team, and to thrive in a fast moving startup environment
- Great communication skills and willingness to ask for help when needed
- Strong interest in Maths and passion for learning
- Prototyping in Unity or Roblox
- Experience with puzzle games and simulation games
- Experience with single player and multiplayer games
- Experience working in high-growth startups or studios
How to Apply: Please send us your resume and/or portfolio at firstname.lastname@example.org
We value diversity and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all suitable applicants. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com