Hark is looking for a Senior Game Designer to join our team in creating Inkling: Origins, a 2D life simulation game focusing on fluid-based puzzles and tend-and-befriend mechanics for iOS and Android. Our ideal candidate has a strong background creating casual, social games with both user generated content and procedurally generated content.
Do you have an Inkling? Challenge your very sense of wonder as you explore a mysterious world emerging from your own designs.
In Inkling: Origins, you create and then control an abstract character in a fluid world to solve puzzles and engage with others in dynamic terrains composed of various Inks. The effect is much like living within a world of mixing colors, alternating between tranquil exploration of fantastical patterns and careful navigation of free-flowing puzzles. Along the way, you’ll befriend other Inklings, evolve your own, and work together to find your own happy place.
The design borrows from many games such as flOw or Spore Origins (aka the cell stage of Spore), as well as the tend-and-befriend mechanics seen in games such as Stardew Valley or Animal Crossing. This is a great chance to build a game for underserved audiences, with Inkling potentially becoming the go-to game for befriending mechanics on mobile!
This is a full-time position. Our office is in San Francisco, but we’re open to remote workers. We’re LGBTQ+ friendly, and we support diversity, equality, and inclusion. Compensation subject to candidate fit and experience:
$120,000-180,000 salary + Cash Bonus at year end + Option scheme for token rewards.
What you’ll do:
- Work directly with other designers, engineers, and artists to establish requirements, processes, and best practices for personalized, adaptive gameplay.
- Advise on the development of our player modeling and segmentation framework, and then interpret the results to identify key player types and playstyles (with help from AI experts).
- Design achievements and rewards to incentivize engagement.
- Design game mechanics and dynamics for our befriending minigame.
- Design and balance the in-game economy (with help from tokenomics experts).
- Design and develop puzzles, NPC Inklings, and other bespoke content.
- Refine and optimize our play-to-earn model.
- Collaborate with artists to design worlds with distinctive styles and themes.
- Organize playtests and incorporate player feedback into the design process.
- Readily provide mentorship to fellow designers.
Who you are:
- 5+ years of experience as a designer in games or related industries
- Experience working with Unity
- Experience designing puzzles, collaborative/social games, and tend-and-befriend mechanics.
- Strong understanding of the game development process and the design challenges of casual, mobile games.
- Passion for gaming, AI, and/or crypto
- Familiar with C# or C++
- Familiar with Git & GitHub workflow
- Familiar with Agile management practices and tools, such as Trello
- Experience with fluid simulations, cellular automata, or other forms of procedural content generation
- Experience designing for exploration and discovery, including pacing, tension / flow cycles, secrets, and rewards.
- Cosmetic and functional In-App purchase design.
- UI / UX design experience
- User-Centered Design experience
- Social gameplay experience (such as sharing features and pro-social mechanics)
- Experience with comparable games, such as flOw, Spore, PixelJunker Shooter, the Falling Sand series, Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing, Noita, etc.
This is a great opportunity to join our growing team and create a great game from the beginning! Even if you think you’re not a great fit, why not try for it anyway? We’d love to hear from you!
Apply by email or on our website at inklingorigins.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org